Overview of MPO and MTP Connectors
What Does MPO Connector Mean?
MPO connectors are fiber optic connectors with multi fiber connectivity and a push on coupling, that’s why they are called MPO “multi-fiber push on”. MPO connectors support higher bandwidth and higher density applications with 12 to 24 fiber count, which also can reach 48 or 72 in some limited applications.
In addition, the next MPO format will support 16 to 32 fiber connectors, which are required for 400 GB applications. There two versions of MPO: male (with pins) and female (without pins).
What is the difference between MPO and MTP?
- MTP connectors are high performance MPO connectors designed for better mechanical and optical performance.
- With removable housing feature, MTP connectors allow changing, re-polishing or interferometrically scanning the MT ferrule or even changing the gender of the connector after assembly or in the field.
- An MTP connector has a floating ferrule, which improves mechanical performance. This means that two mated ferrules can maintain physical contact while under load.
- MPO connectors have plastic pin clamp and round spring, but MTP connectors have metal pin clamp and round spring.
- Furthermore, having a metal pin clamp allows the push spring on the MTP connector to always stay centered. This feature prevents losing pins, centralizes the spring and protects it from any potential damage.
- The guide hole wear in MPO connectors may appear after about 50 parings. However, with MTP connectors, that range is improved to 500 pairings.
MPO Connectors Advantages and Disadvantages?
The rapid increase in the number of network links in the data centers can cause the data center of conventional fiber cabling to become cramped and difficult to manage. To solve this problem, data centers must obtain ultra-density to accommodate all the cabling used in the cabling.
MPO Connector Advantages:
MPO/MTP cables, which combine 8, 12 or 24 fibers in a single interface, have proven to be a practical solution for that problem. In addition, the MTP/MPO multi-fiber cable connectors can accommodate 8, 12 or 24 fiber in the same area needed for an SC connector, meeting the 40GBASE-SR4 and 100GBASE-SR10 standards, and eventually, MPO connectors can effectively save card and rack space.
MPO Connector Disadvantage:
An MPO/MTP connector has a very sensitive surface that cannot be cleaned easily.
How Are MPO Cables Connected?
To establish an MPO connection between two MPO cables, an MPO adapter is a must and the connectors should have opposing types. Which means only male to female connection is possible, not male-male or female-female. If a female connector is used on both sides of the adapter the performance would be very low because without male pins the fibers would not be aligned. On the other hand using two male connectors is not possible and might damage the connectors.
How to Measure the Quality of MPO cables?
- After MPO cables are produced, they get cleaned and assessed both microscopically and geometrically to ensure they are clean and with high quality.
- A VIAVI MPO test device is used to measure light transmittance and make sure the fiber connectors are providing standard values. In order to do the measurement.
- We need 1 jumper cable fixed to the device, 1 master cable determined by the type of cable we seek to measure and the actual measured DUT cable.
- The cables must be clean before the measurement and with the master cable in mind.
- Afterwards, the measured cable is connected to master cable and the device in order to be tested, and a precise reading with the final measurement result is given by the device.
Are MPO cables produced in Turkey?
Yes they are, and the first producer of MPO cables in Turkey is Samm Teknoloji
About Samm Teknoloji
Fiber Optic Cable Manufacturer
Being a Turkish fiber optic cable manufacturer and an efficient supplier for Europe, Asia and America, SAMM Teknoloji joined the global market with very high potential. SAMM designs and manufactures a wide variety of fiber optic cable types optimized for fixed or mobile networks that can be used in indoor and outdoor environments. SAMM offers reliable, cost-effective optical products to meet the needs of customers with innovative products developed and tested in accordance with international standards.
Fiber Optic Assemblies Producer
As a fiber optic cable assemblies producer and supplier in Turkey and an optical assemblies supplier for Europe and Asia, Samm Teknoloji has been providing high-quality and reliable fiber optic cable assemblies since 2006. Due to our fully equipped production facilities, laboratories and long-term expertise in fiber optics, we are able to produce a first class fiber optic assemblies portfolio that ensure the highest level reliability. Therefore, one of the main priority is the ongoing expansion and advancement of the manufacturing capabilities.
Data Center Solutions Producer
As a Turkish producer of future-ready fiber optic data center equipment, SAMM Teknoloji produces UHD ultra high density MTP/MPO panels and cassettes, modular panels and cabling raceways. SAMM Teknoloji has also kept pace with the accelerating spread of Cloud Computing, which has increased the need for mega Data Centers. SAMM provides Data Center solutions and products that suit all structures with high data storage density, data traffic and data security.